HEMC’s How$mart program is unique in that HEMC, not the member, makes the initial investment to upgrade the energy efficiency of the member’s home. The member experiences a savings immediately, even with the added charge on their power bill. The program is designed so that the member’s total monthly energy costs should drop.
How The Program Works
- The member calls for a free consultation with a HEMC representative.
- The member signs an agreement to allow the costs to be recovered through future power bills for the location and for such agreement to be legally recorded in the event the property is sold. No credit checks. No loans. The amount to repay stays fixed to the location where the savings occur, not to the owner. The repayment period lasts five years.
- HEMC will conduct an energy audit of your home. This will identify the problem spots and let you know if you need numerous upgrades or just a few.
- Choose your contractor. Along with your written audit report, HEMC will provide a list of participating contractors to make the improvements. A minimum of two bids are required.
- Start saving the day your home is upgraded. The program is designed to result in immediate savings, assuming customer usage patterns do not change. A portion of the additional savings go to repay HEMC for the initial investment. After payback, 100 percent of the savings go to the member.
- New energy-efficient heat pump
- Ductwork, vents, etc.
- Insulation (under floors and in ceilings)
Request Free Consultation
Fill out our Enrollment Request Form to get started.