Washington Youth Tour
The Washington Youth Tour, sponsored nationally by the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) and statewide by Georgia Electric Membership Corporation (GEMC), is a jam-packed backstage pass to Washington, D.C. It offers rising high school seniors – students currently juniors – an unforgettable leadership experience in our nation’s capital. The tour is free to participants!
Since 1965, the Washington Youth Tour has given 1,650 students in Georgia and more than 40,000 students nationwide the opportunity to take part in this once-in-a-lifetime experience. The program was initially implemented at the request of President Lyndon Johnson to “send youngsters to the nation’s capital where they can actually see what the flag stands for and represents.” Habersham EMC will sponsor two young people from our area to attend the all-expense paid trip to Washington D.C., June 14-21, 2024, but you have to enter.
- Must be a high school junior at least 16 years of age, but no older than 18.
- The primary residence of the parent or guardian must be in the Habersham EMC service area (Habersham, Hall, Lumpkin, Rabun, Stephens and White counties).
- Parent, grandparent, or guardian of the applicant can neither be employed by nor serve as a director of Habersham EMC.
Interested children and grandchildren of HEMC directors and employees are eligible to enter the statewide contest and should
contact email@example.com for an application.
Begin by filling out the 2024 Washington Youth Tour Application due Wednesday, January 31st.
- Applicants will then be contacted to set up a virtual interview.
- Two winners will be chosen and notified in late February/early March.