Washington Youth Tour
The Washington Youth Tour, sponsored nationally by the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) and statewide by Georgia Electric Membership Corporation (GEMC), is a jam-packed backstage pass to Washington, D.C. It offers rising high school seniors – students currently juniors – an unforgettable leadership experience in our nation’s capital. It’s free!
Since 1965, the Washington Youth Tour has given 1,650 students in Georgia and more than 40,000 students nationwide the opportunity to take part in this once-in-a-lifetime experience. The program was initially implemented at the request of President Lyndon Johnson to “send youngsters to the nation’s capital where they can actually see what the flag stands for and represents.” Habersham EMC will sponsor two young people from our area to attend the all-expense paid trip to Washington D.C., June 15-22, 2023, but you have to enter.
- Must be a high school junior at least 16 years of age, but no older than 18.
- Primary residence of parent or guardian must be in the Habersham EMC service area (Habersham, Hall, Lumpkin, Rabun, Stephens and White counties).
- Parent, grandparent or guardian of the applicant can neither be employed by nor serve as a director of Habersham EMC.
Interested children and grandchildren of HEMC directors and employees are eligible to enter the statewide contest and should
contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.
- Begin by filling out the 2023 Washington Youth Tour Entry Form due Tuesday, January 31st.
- The contest consists of two parts – a written test, and an interview at the Habersham EMC Clarkesville office. The written test will count as 50% of the score and the interview will count as 50% of the score.
- Once you have completed and returned your entry form, you will be sent a study packet for the written test, no later than Friday, February 3rd.
- The test and interview will be conducted on Thursday, February 16th at the Habersham EMC Clarkesville office.
- Two winners will be selected and notified by Thursday, February 23rd.