Election Process & FAQs
The link below will take you directly to information regarding the 2023 Board Elections, including the district map, candidate application, petition application and associated deadlines.
2023 Board Elections
The following is the portion of the Bylaws concerning:
- Qualifications of Director
- Purpose and Duty of the Nominating Committee
- Purpose and Duty of the Credentials and Elections Committee
Qualifications of Directors
(See Section 3.03 of the Bylaws)
No member shall be eligible to be elected, remain, or re-elected a director of the Cooperative unless such member meets the following qualifications:
- Such member is a natural person of the age of 18 years or over;
- Such member has been a member of the Cooperative and has resided within the HEMC district of which he or she would represent for at least one (1) year prior to the date on which he or she would take office;
- Such member is receiving service from the Cooperative at his primary residential abode unless temporarily prevented from doing so by causes reasonably beyond such member’s control. The filing of a claim of homestead exemption shall be conclusive proof of the place of primary residence; proof of place of primary residence of a person who does not claim homestead exemption shall be made by such evidence as shall be satisfactory to the Credentials and Election Committee:
- Such member is not in any way employed by or financially interested in an enterprise competing with the Cooperative. As used herein, “financially interested” shall mean ownership of more than a five percent (5 %) interest of any sort in any such enterprise;
- Such member is not an employee of the Cooperative;
- Such member is not related to another director of the Cooperative in the first or second degree by affinity or consanguinity; and
- Such member is not the spouse of or otherwise related to a permanent, full-time employee of the Cooperative in the first or second degree by blood or marriage. A Board member who becomes related to another director or permanent employee as provided herein may complete his or her term on the Board but shall not be eligible for re-election so long as the relationship exists. Notwithstanding the requirements of this paragraph, any duly elected director in office as of January 1, 2006, shall be eligible for re-election to the Board in any subsequent year as long as all other qualifications are met.
- Such member has not been employed on a part-time, full-time, or contract basis, by the cooperative within the previous thirty-six (36) months.
- Such member is not a former employee currently receiving employment-related benefits from the Cooperative, e.g. retirement, medical insurance benefits, etc.
- Such member shall not have ever been convicted of a felony crime.
- Such member shall not have ever filed for personal bankruptcy.
- Such member shall not have been disconnected from electric service for failure to make payment within the previous five (5) years.
- Candidate affidavit. The member seeking election to the office of director shall provide a signed affidavit, in the form provided by the Cooperative, confirming their qualifications as outlined in this section for consideration as a director and authorizing the Cooperative to conduct criminal background checks and credit reports in accordance with applicable statutes.
Purpose and duty of the Nominating Committee
(See Section 3.04 of the Bylaws)
- Selected by the Board of Directors to give equal representation to the geographical areas served by HEMC.
- Meet at least 50 days prior to the Annual Meeting.
- Nominate one or more candidates for the director positions that are to be filled at the Annual Meeting.
- The Nominating Committee validates candidate qualifications and nominates all qualified candidates.
Purpose and duty of the Credentials and Election Committee
(See Section 2.07 of the Bylaws)
- Appointed by the Board of Directors.
- Consists of 5-15 members.
- Members cannot be officers, directors, employees nor candidates for the Board.
- Must meet within 5 days after the deadline for filing petitions to confirm the validity and qualifications of candidates running by petition. Those meeting the requirements are approved for inclusion on the ballot.
- Supervising the procedure for election of directors and the counting of all ballots or votes cast.
- Ruling on the effect of any ballots or votes irregularly marked or cast and on all other questions that may arise relating to member voting and the election of directors.
Questions Related to Running for a Board Position
Who do I contact if I am interested in serving on Habersham EMC’s Board of Directors?
(706) 754-2114, ext. 4137
How can I learn in what District I am located?
Contact the office at (706) 754-2114.
View the Board District Map here
Who do I contact to be considered as a candidate?
Contact a member of the Nominating Committee.
Where would I find the list of Nominating Committee members?
Contact us to obtain a current list.
What if I am not nominated by a Nominating Committee member?
You will receive a certified letter explaining why you were not nominated.
Why would a director petition be necessary?
If you were not nominated by the Nominating Committee or if you missed the deadline to submit your application.
What is the voting process?
Voting occurs onsite at the Annual Meeting. Absentee voting occurs on dates set prior to the Annual Meeting.
What procedures have been implemented to ensure the election process is fair, open and transparent?
An independent party that is not a member of the HEMC staff or a Board Member is contracted to conduct the election process.